The program is FREE for families that have children with asthma or lead exposure.
The goal of the program is to educate families on how to reduce or eliminate asthma triggers in children’s environments and/ or elements in the home that are the cause of elevated lead levels.
Families enrolled in the program receive:
- Home visits to provide resources, case management, and education
- Free supplies (Hepa filter vacuum, pillowcase covers, mattress covers, and other needed cleaning supplies) to help eliminate asthma triggers in the home
- Connections to community resources.
The program staff also connects with health care providers to complete Asthma Action plans that are needed for Asthmatic children.
- Children 18 years old and under
- Children diagnosed with moderate to severe asthma
- Children enrolled in/eligible for medical assistance (Medicaid or MCHP)
- Children living at the property at least 10+ hours/week.
Complete the form below to see if you are eligible for the program. A staff person will contact you within 48 to 72 hours to discuss your eligibility status.
Asthma is a chronic (long term) lung disease that inflames and narrows the airways. Asthma causes recurring periods of wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing. The coughing often occurs at night or early in the morning.
Asthma causes absence from school, increase medical costs, irreversible lung damage without treatment, and death.
Lead is a naturally occurring element and can be found in the air, the soil, the water, and even inside of homes. Lead is particularly dangerous to children because their bodies absorb more lead than adults do and their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead.
Learn more about sources of lead exposure in the home, at school, in products, in drinking water, air, soil, and dust.
Call 301-609-6900 ext. 6849 or 6816 for more information or to enroll in the program